Welcome to For Love Of Orange, the Blog! If you are new here, you might want to subscribe, so you won't miss anything! I hope you will grab yourself a glass (or cup) of tea (ice-cold & sweet, is the way I like mine) and read thru my day to day ramblings about motherhood, child rearing, homeschooling and just everyday life.
Please leave me a comment, I enjoy hearing what you have to say!
If you have any questions, please send me an email at forloveoforange@gmail.com.
Don't forget to check out my Shop!

Enjoy!

~Amy

3.31.2012

Life as a Volunteer Fire Fighters Wife....

Just before my husband I got married, back in 2003, he joined our local Volunteer Fire Dept. Nothing made me prouder than to see/hear him take out on a fire call. His truck lit up like a Christmas tree. And I don't care who you are...but the sight of those lights, makes you feel like a child inside!
Shortly, and I mean shortly, after we got married, he responded to a smoke investigation just down the road from where we were living. It was dark and it almost took his life. A clothes line, that hung from two trees, in the front yard, clothes lined him (no pun intended). They had to rush him to the hospital. When I got the call, I thought it was a joke. I was in denial. We had only been married a few weeks. This couldn't be possible. I had to call my daddy to come get me and take me to the hospital. I couldn't drive. Hell. I could hardly stand. Praise God, he was fine. His throat was all swollen. He could hardly breathe. I still have the rope.
Thankfully, the house was not on fire.


*Soap box*
Here's an idea...don't put up clothes lines in your yard. At least not from trees. These guys/gals are already risking their lives, by running into your burning home. Don't put them in anymore harm by having something like this hanging in your yard. 

Ok, I'm off my soap box.

Several years went by and no more accidents. We moved out of the district in 2006. He still worked in Franklin, so remained on the Fire Dept for a few more months. But eventually he had to give it up. It was just to hard and he couldn't respond to the night calls. That was probably the second most heart breaking day of his life, at that point. He lived and breathed fire. The adrenalin was like nothing else. I never understood it, but always supported it. So after 5 years and 2 children later, we made our way back to the district. The day we moved in to our new home, he rejoined the Fire Dept. He was like a kid on Christmas morning. His eyes lit up. He took his truck and had it all lit up! Now, with 2 children of his own, 1 being a boy trying to be the spitting image of his daddy, the lights were even more AWESOME!
Last night, as we sat out on our deck, having just finished supper, the tones went off. He jumped and off he ran! The kids were all "DADDY! TURN ON YOUR LIGHTS AND SIRENS!" And of course he did!!!
Tonight, as we walked back in from supper, the tones went off and off he went! This time, I got his lights and sirens on video!
It's not the best, because it's so dark. But you get the idea!!
He's our Fire Fighter and we love and support him, always!
Sure, it makes me nervous every time he leaves. But I just say a prayer, knowing this is in his blood.
And sure, our dinners get interrupted, our sleep gets interrupted and our life/family time gets interrupted. But it's okay. Knowing he's off to help someone in need or save a home from burning to the ground, makes my heart feel with pride. And to be able to tell his children how brave he is, make it even better when the smiles come across their faces. They too are super proud of their daddy!!
And when the tones go off at 2am...well lets just say he's not the only one not sleeping. ;)  

 
So, if you haven't ever done so, the next time you see a Fire Fighter (volunteer or paid), please say thank you! They aren't just there when your house is on fire. They are there on scene of a car wreck, a heart attack, etc... And remember, as a Volunteer Fire Fighter, they aren't paid to run into your burning home. They do it for their community. For you. They respond at all hours of the day and night.
Same goes for our Paid Fire Fighters, Police men/woman and EMS crews. And we can't forget our E.O.C (Emergency Operations Center/911) personnel. Without them, nobody would know there was a wreck or fire.


No comments:

Post a Comment