Welcome to For Love Of Orange, the Blog! If you are new here, you might want to subscribe, so you won't miss anything! I hope you will grab yourself a glass (or cup) of tea (ice-cold & sweet, is the way I like mine) and read thru my day to day ramblings about motherhood, child rearing, homeschooling and just everyday life.
Please leave me a comment, I enjoy hearing what you have to say!
If you have any questions, please send me an email at forloveoforange@gmail.com.
Don't forget to check out my Shop!

Enjoy!

~Amy

6.09.2012

School Room

I'm new to the whole Homeschooling world. I went to public school. But my husband and his 6 siblings were all home-schooled. I've been saying, since 2002 (when my husband and I started dating), that I would never home-school our children. I said it wasn't for me. But recently I have felt called by God to do just that...home-school my children (5 & 3). I guess that's why "they" say, never say never. :)
So we decided we'd go ahead and get started. We had already decided we needed to take them out of daycare, for financial reasons, anyway and now that this decision had been made, it just made sense. So I sat down, worked up a "Schedule", which adjusted my schedule, and started schooling.
 Things are going well. It's a learning curve for me, for sure. As far as schooling goes, I'm use to the 8:00-3:00 mentality. But with homeschooling, it's the flexibility & time with my children, that makes it so great! And we are enjoying the flexibility tremendously! And with my husband owning his own construction business, it gives my son the opportunity to go to work with him on occasion.
Now...we live in a small home (less than 1,400 sq ft), so a "school room" was not happening. So I had to make do with what I had...the kitchen table. But it was too high. So, we retreated to the den, on the floor, using our hearth as our desks. However, that is very hard on my old bones and not good for the kids posture. So I thought and thought and thought and finally realized...I had the perfect place! We have an outbuilding that use to be a shed, but was remodeled by my father-in-law and brother-in-law and turned into an office. It's perfect! So I decided to de-clutter it and add our school stuff! I'm so excited!
I also decided that since sitting on the floor was out, for a number of reasons, that I needed to find the kids a table or desk to sit at. I got online and found several, old school, school desks, but they were all $45 or more. I need two, so that was a little rich for me. Then I remembered that my mother-in-law, who remember home-schooled 7, might just have a couple. So I picked up the phone and called her; and sure enough...she thought she did. I got my husband to go down to the barn and yep!...there were two!  Jackpot! 
But now that meant I had some refurbishing to do! The seats are cracked and buckled and they are covered in dust, bird poop and rust.

"Before" Her face says it all
Another "Before"
So I washed/wiped them down and then headed to the store and got a sanding block, primer and paint!
Then I got sanding. It didn't take long at all. I did them both in just an hour or so. 

"After" the wipe down. What a difference just a wet towel makes!!

Another, "After" the wipe down
The painting took a week or so to get to. Just got busy and didn't get back to it. 
Once I got back to it, I got them both primed and painted in one afternoon. 

i put a clear coat on the back of the seat and desk top
then primed all the metal area
 

then took the desk top off and painted it all!
 Once I got that finished, I got in the office and (like a mad woman) got to cleaning.

The office consists of the following:
 2 desks (one normal, one L-shaped)
2 bookcases
A refrigerator
2 rolling carts
3 file cabinets

So I'm taking down my desk (the L-shaped) and making a desk out of two of the file cabinets. I'm going to try to get rid of the "extra" file cabinet, if at all possible.

I plan on designating one wall to our schooling. It will hold our white board & anything else I can fit on it.
A lot of de-cluttering (which needed to happen anyway) occurred. It was awesome!

I now have a "School Room" and a clean Office!






We've been in our new room for a week! It's been great! I don't have to sit on the floor, and neither do my babies. I still need to get new seats made, but for now I'm just going to make them some cushions to go on top of the old seats. Should make them a lot more comfy.

Once I get my "new" desk made and in place, the white board up and cushions made, I'll add pictures of the whole room!

No comments:

Post a Comment