Welcome to For Love Of Orange, the Blog! If you are new here, you might want to subscribe, so you won't miss anything! I hope you will grab yourself a glass (or cup) of tea (ice-cold & sweet, is the way I like mine) and read thru my day to day ramblings about motherhood, child rearing, homeschooling and just everyday life.
Please leave me a comment, I enjoy hearing what you have to say!
If you have any questions, please send me an email at forloveoforange@gmail.com.
Don't forget to check out my Shop!

Enjoy!

~Amy

9.01.2012

2012-2013 Curriculum

This is my first year homeschooling. My son is in Kindergarten.
My mother-in-law (who's a professional, after homeschooling seven) took me to our local home school curriculum fair and helped me weed through all the different curriculum's. After perusing through one. after. another., I decided to use BJU (Bob Jones University) for our Reading, Writing and Phonics.
I decided this one would be the best for me, for a couple of reasons. It is a private school based curriculum, so I felt it would suite me a little better, since I attended public school and was use to that type of "routine". I felt and hoped that would help me settle into this new adventure. It IS my first year and I was feeling a little overwhelmed. And two, I felt this curriculum offered everything in one package. I liked that it also offered a mix of Social Studies and Science into each lesson. Although, I've found that to get everything out of it, it takes quite a bit of planning and preparation. That, I'm not so good at, yet. But as a whole, it's been great.
                                                                  I wasn't to impressed with BJU's Math curriculum, so I chose to go with Horizons. It's very colorful and my son really enjoys it! Math was/is my favorite subject, so I wanted to make sure our curriculum would be fun and exciting, so my son would also love Math. And it doesn't take a lot of planning. It's been very helpful with the use of manipulatives.







I also picked up a Money workbook and a Time workbook from our local Parent Teacher Store. We've already completed both K & 1st grade in both of those. That makes me happy.
Then I ordered a couple of books (Zoo Guide & Aquarium Guide) from Answers In Genesis.
Then, to help round out my curriculum, I also picked up a couple of maps/posters and a Dr. Seuss book. I mean, you must have Dr. Seuss, right?!
I still pick up things every time I'm out and about. Target's $1 bins are one of my favorites. You can read about that here! I also like the Dollar Tree. I've gotten a lot of school room decorating items from there. And it's all, ONE DOLLAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment